Merging openmoko into OE

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon Mar 5 21:12:32 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 12:16 +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 11:56:54AM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> > > 3) find a cleaner way for the deploy/images directory.  There need to be
> > >    per-release symlinks so that an automatized flashing tool can always
> > >    assume that the current kernel for one release/snapshot/branch has a
> > >    fixed name (can be symlinks).
> >
> > Ok, that's not too hard, I recall Richard making a start with that for the zaurus machines.
>
> yes.  The question is: should we put this into our kernel/uboot recipes,
> or use some modified kernel.bbclass for it?  or implement it as script
> completely outside OE?

I've added this for images with a small change to image.bbclass. It does
require the image type to be equal to the image filename extension which
sometimes isn't the case but usually isn't a problem to arrange.

For kernels, add something like linux-rp.inc has in do_deploy:

rm -f ${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}-${MACHINE}.bin
ln -s ${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}-${PV}-${MACHINE}-${DATETIME}.bin ${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}-${MACHINE}.bin

although experience says a relative link like:

cd ${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/
rm -f ${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}-${MACHINE}.bin
ln -s ${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}-${PV}-${MACHINE}-${DATETIME}.bin ${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}-${MACHINE}.bin

might be better.

There might be other do_deploy methods you need to tweak too but
hopefully you get the idea.

> > >    Also, the statically linked native
> > >    openocd, dfu-util and sjf2410 binaries need to go to a different
> > >    directory.
> >
> > Rod is looking into proper statical linking. We probably need a DEPLOY_DIR_TOOLS or
> > something where the tools will live.
>
> DEPLOY_DIR_TOOLS: good.

I've just committed a definition of DEPLOY_DIR_TOOLS to OE.dev. Simply
update anything you want installed to a tools directory to use this
variable instead of DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE.

Anyone who really dislikes this can do
DEPLOY_DIR_TOOLS = "${DEPLOY_DIR}/images"
in their distro or local.conf ;-).

Cheers,

Richard