OpenMoko OE repository not quite ready for MokoMakefile production usage

Bernhard Kaindl bkaindl at ffii.org
Fri Nov 30 15:58:42 CET 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia piątek, 30 listopada 2007, Bernhard Kaindl napisał:
>> Linux-x86_64 does this fine and because the fakeroot which openembededd
>> uses does not work so good on a bi-arch platform like e.g.
>> Gentoo-x86_64 or openSUSE-x86_64, chroot is the easyest way anyways.
>
> So 64bit Gentoo and OpenSUSE are broken? I do not have problems with
> building OpenMoko (or other OpenEmbedded or Poky based distros) on my
> Debian/x86-64 system.

Yes, see:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Talk:MokoMakefile#Fails_compiling_binutils-cross_on_Gentoo.2FAMD64_and_openSUSE.2Fx86_64

Apparently, openmoko and the implementation of the lib64 (multilib system,
as supported by the GNU tools) on these distributions do not work
together yet.

The OpenMoko build not only fails in the final stages of building
binutils-cross because of an lib64 issue (I think that lib64 issues
also came up when building qemu with openembedded), and at the end
of the openmoko build, fakeroot triggers some lib64 warnings which
are then treated as errors by the openembeded build scripts, and
once I did hack them to build an image, but I think that a generic
solution which works for everybody, which is to use chroot and a
standardized build distribution inside chroot is is a much better
way to get predictably working builds.

Bernhard