Investigation Upstart/Sysvinit

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Oct 26 13:18:22 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 11:54 +0100, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> I have spent some time investigation upstart and how it differs from
> sysvinit which we currently use and these are my finding based on
> documentation and looking at my ubuntu install.

Thanks, this is interesting information.

[...]

> Anyway this mail is to kick off any discussion on what we want to do,
> do people want me to go further with upstart, or investigate other
> sysvinit replacements.

Last time I gave this some thought, I wondered about an
INITSCRIPT_DEPENDS field in OE to indicate which initscripts need to
start (if present) before this one. That can then be used by the
update-rc.d class when setting up the scripts.

I like the idea of adding in some functions or variables with common
values in. We probably need a list of the common values initscripts need
(and why) so we can then try and find a way to generate the information.
Do the values change per initscript for example like PID or are they
fixed?

Cheers,

Richard