Qtopia Phone Licensing Issue

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Tue Apr 1 17:24:12 CEST 2008

Graeme -

> Personally I would rate libamr as the more urgent issue as its a true
> unknown, openssl is just a mess that has been around for your and no-
> one
> has gone suing over it.
Fully agree with you. From the two libamr looks interesting. Remember
we have to focus our time on REAL PROGRESS, that is also true for
licensing work.
I love to spend time on this issue, but let's spend it in areas where
we are really making progress.
Let's see what we can find out about libamr...

> src/3rdparty is where Trolltech for insane reasons known only to
> themselves had imported libraries from community they use. They link
> against these versions rather than the ones from any other source and
> there doesnt appear to be configure options to stop this.
True but again, which specific library are you talking about? The fact
that there is no configure option doesn't mean we are forcing
anything. The whole build system is FOSS as well. In fact we spend a
lot of time to get it integrated into OE well. I love more choice, so
if someone adds an easy way to swap out OpenSSL for GnuTLS then great.
But I don't see how you can argue that if Openmoko does not do this
themselves, we are forcing anyone to do anything wrt copyright law.

> This whole issue irritates me as GPLv3 specifically allows linking
> with
> OpenSSL so it obviously was not in FSF intentions to prohibit this in
> GPLv2, just an oversite. But you know how rabid the community gets
> about
> licensing.
Yes, but I guess you see it yourself now. If even the FSF adds a
special OpenSSL clause in GPLv3, I don't think there is a need for us
to be stricter than the FSF!
Unfortunately rabies is pretty much 100% fatal.

Wolfgang