Openmoko build infrastructure questions

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Apr 16 16:19:12 CEST 2008

Sorry if I repeat myself here, I just really want to try and get a point
across.

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 10:38 -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > >---2 "building with a cross-compiler is wrong,
>
> I think one big problem is that, while OE is a meta-distribution,
> many people seem to think of it as build system, i.e., "make"
> becomes "bitbake".

OE *is* a build system and an integration tool too.

The problem is people think its a development environment too and whilst
you can use it for that (I do), there are now easier ways.

> All the overhead of OE probably makes perfect sense for a
> distribution maker who can devote major resources into the care
> and feeding of OE, but for more casual users, it's a nightmare.

OE is needed to generate packages, images, toolchains, SDKs and this is
what its good at and designed for.

If an end user wants to rebuild an image from source, hand them a build
system. If the end user wants to develop an app, hand them a development
environment like the Poky SDK, anjuta IDE etc. Use the right tool for
the right job!

Cheers,

Richard