GSM modem doesn't power off when Neo does

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Sat Feb 9 23:30:27 CET 2008

Koen Kooi wrote:

> Mike (mwester) schreef:
> | And when I power-off my laptop, I expect that the built-in
> | wifi card and modem also power-off, regardless of whether I was booted
> | up and running the vendor's "card manager service" software (for
> | example) or not...  Any have comments on this assertion?
>
> While I agree with on all the points raised, I must point out that I can
> turn on my laptop with wake-on-lan and with bring it back from
> suspend-to-disk with bluetooth. Not to mention the OLPC always-on wifi.
> Just a side-note, not an objection in any form or way.
You are correct - and it would (ultimately) be nice to have the GTA01 in
a suspended state such that it could wake up from GSM, and other
low-power modes.

However, that's not the operational mode I'm of which I'm speaking.
Technically, if your laptop was left in a state where it could wake-on
bluetooth, it would be in violation of the rules regarding electronic
equipment during take-off and landing on aircraft, and I believe that
bluetooth would also be in violation of the rules regarding radio
devices in blast zones.

> regards,
>
> Koen

Mike (mwester)