improving boot time

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Wed Feb 13 20:18:56 CET 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:28:06 +0100 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org>
babbled:

> I just read http://hughsient.livejournal.com/28753.html -- this would be an
> interesting alternative to using upstream to improve boot time.

this seems both good, and bad. good - we boot much faster. bad - the first time
you do something that needs another service started you get an extra delay.

imho you want possibly to combine this with a "pre-cache" application that in
the background after boot and main screen is up, asks for a bunch of services
we will need later anyway so they get pe-loaded in the background.

of course this means we need everything that is to be launched dbus-enabled it
seems. if its not a dbus service it's pretty useless without modification
within this scheme. :)

it's interesting for sure though. i still think we can get away with trimming
down what we start and how we start it, and when. :)