GSM modem doesn't power off when Neo does

Erin Yueh erin_yueh at openmoko.com
Tue Feb 19 08:57:58 CET 2008

Hi List,

About GSM modem power off issue, we cannot solve this problem coz of
hardware limitations. It's about some components and their connections
like battery, PMU, CPU and GSM modem. In GTA01 devices, the battery is
connected with PMU and GSM modem as below.

         ------> PMU -----> CPU (SC2410)
Battery |
         ------> GSM modem

Therefore, we cannot control the power status of GSM modem by PMU
directly. Now, we are using an AT command 'AT at POFF' to power off the
modem, when we shut down the device. Then, it can solov a battery
problem bug#1003 'GSM modem is not powered down when Linux is shut
down'. Frankly speaking, it's a stupid way to power off the modem. For
example, if gsmd is dead, then we cannot send an AT command to modem.
Also, we can only send AT at POFF this command 'once'.

We are deeply apologetic about this hardware design problem on GTA01
devices. And, we modify these connections in GTA02 as below.

                      -----> CPU (SC2410)
Battery ----->  PMU |
                      -----> GSM modem

In GTA02 devices, we can control the power status of GSM modem from PMU
and don't need this AT at POFF command to modem any more. We can just pull
a pin to high or low and it can control the power status of GSM modem.

We feel very sorry about this gsm modem power off issue and try to
improve it in our next device.

Best Regards,
Erin