GSM modem doesn't power off when Neo does

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 05:54:13 CET 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 4:52 PM, Mike Westerhof <mwester at dls.net> wrote:
> The compromise I proposed (and tested, and I still use today) is to have a simple
> shutdown script in /etc/init.d, with the appropriate symlink from
> /etc/rcX.d/Kxxxx.  The "x"s should be replaced with values that ensure that the
> kill script runs when the system is pretty much shutdown; i.e. we can safely
> assume that all gsmd's have had an opportunity to exit cleanly if they were
> running in the first place.  (I'd post the values I chose for the "x"s except
> that I'm nowhere near home and can't check right now.)
>
> The script simply resets the GSM modem, sets the serial port to the correct flow
> control and echo settings, and issues the AT at POFF command.  Voila, modem powered
> off at normal shutdown, regardless of the state of gsmd.

You posted the atpoff script for bug 1003 and I've had it installed as
/etc/rc0.d/K36poff for a long time, but it's not working for some
reason.  I just measured, the current is maybe 30 or 40 mA after I
have powered up, started up the GUI, then held the power button and
selected the GUI button to shut down the phone.  I tried moving the
script to /etc/init.d/poff and making links to it from rc0.d, rc1.d
and rc6.d (since all of those have links for the other "kill" scripts)
and modified the script to write a file to the MicroSD card when it
runs, and start the vibrator, so I can see that the script is running,
but it is not successfully turning off the radio for me.