GSM modem doesn't power off when Neo does

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:05:51 CET 2008

On 19/02/2008, Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 12:57 AM, Erin Yueh <erin_yueh at openmoko.com> wrote:
> > Therefore, we cannot control the power status of GSM modem by PMU
> > directly. Now, we are using an AT command 'AT at POFF' to power off the
> > modem, when we shut down the device. Then, it can solov a battery
> > problem bug#1003 'GSM modem is not powered down when Linux is shut
>
> Well as long as that works reliably, it's the best that can be done I
> guess.

The other proposition was to issue the AT at POFF from the kernel when
it's powering off, which would be more reliable. We cannot control the
power for the modem with PMU, as Erin noted, but that doesn't mean
that we can't control it at all, so it's not a horrible hardware bug
(well it is, but it's work-around-able).

>  So this feature is implemented already in gsmd?

IIRC Yes, but I'm not sure if the script to invoke the gsmd command is
installed.

BTW I think that for the flight mode it should be enough to turn off
the radio? (i.e what "o" in libgsmd-tool -m shell does)
--
Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary. Spread
environmental awareness.