Qtopia/X11 Weekly Status

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Sun Feb 24 13:53:40 CET 2008

Hey,

Trolltech did most of the hard work to port Qtopia to X11, so we benefit from
their work.

What was done the last week:
	- Setting up a git tree at git.openmoko.org
	- Making the Qtopia snapshot compile against X11
	- Looking into how Qtopia is managing windows and how this interacts
	  with Window Managers. Testing with kwin, metacity, matchbox and E.
	- Minor bugfixes, patches were sent to the qtopia-interest mailinglist [1].
	- Updating to a new snapshot.

Open Issues:
	- How to integrate Qtopia on X11. Keep the launcher or use the applications
	  only. What to do with the services in the server, move them to an
	  autostarted daemon? Decision is pending.
	- The header and soft-menu of Qtopia set NETWM_STRUT, NETWM_STRUT_PARTIAL
	  and we assume that the Window Manager is setting NETWM_WORKAREA, this is
	  not happening for E.
	- Input to the Soft Menu bar. With E the soft menu and header can
	  get 'focus'/'input'/'active window' (no idea about the right x terminology)
	  even if XSetWMHints set input to false.
	- Window Decorations. How to deal with them? Disable them in Qtopia? Change
	   the wm.
	- On slow start Datebook/Todo try to import data, something is wrong with the
	  QCOP implementation on X11?

Plans for next week:
	- Try to decide about the Qtopia integration
	- Look into the last item.

comments, question would be appreciated and please try to compile it :)

	z.

[1] http://lists.trolltech.com/qtopia-interest/