mkfs.jffs2 parameters for GTA02

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 17 02:32:58 CET 2008

Hi distribution makers,

we have a bit of a problem with the rootfs image for GTA02: the build
process still uses the settings for the NAND Flash of GTA01, which
cause bad performance, and perhaps also other problems. Here is an
example for what I hope are the correct settings:

mkfs.jffs2 --eraseblock=0x20000 --pagesize=0x800 --no-cleanmarkers \
  --little-endian --pad -o rootfs.jffs2 -d ./rootfs

I would also suggest that we include JFFS2 summary information in the
root file system. This costs a little bit of NAND space, but makes
mounting much faster:

sumtool --eraseblock=0x20000 --no-cleanmarkers \
  --littleendian --pad -i rootfs.jffs2 -o srootfs.jffs2

For more details, please have a look at
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2008-January/000472.html

- Werner