gsmd power management device

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 18 14:28:28 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> Hi -

> The script /etc/init.d/gsmd wants to use

> /sys/bus/platform/devices/gta01-pm-gsm.0

> to control power to the GSM module.  But on 2.6.24 anyway, this node had
> a new name:

> /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gsm.0

> nobody seems to have updated /etc/default/gsmd to the new name, it just
> throws errors trying to use the old name at the moment.

> What should we do, change the name back or update the script?

The script has to be updated. I hope we can soon switch completely
over to .24 (also for GTA02). In the meantime, we will add a
conditional in OE to handle that.

> In addition, there are some sleep()s in the /etc/init.d/gsmd script that
> are really a bit of an unreliable blunt instrument.  The sleeps add 5
> whole seconds to the boot time.

This roots in the general flakeyness of the communication with the gsm
modem. Unfortunately no one had time or motivation to seriously look
into the whole issue of the modem becoming unresponsive at times.
There's a whole load of bugs related to that in the bugtracker. It
remains to be seen whether this is a gsmd bug, a kernel bug, or (god
forbid) even a yet-to-be-discovered hardware bug. Someone really need
to treat that with measuring equipment and/or jtag.

Regards,

:M:

--
Dr. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de