Overriding virtual/kernel in openembedded

Brian Cavagnolo brian at cozybit.com
Thu Mar 6 18:36:29 CET 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to get openembedded to build my kernel instead of the
default openmoko-kernel specified as the PREFERRED_PROVIDER in the
openembedded/conf/machine/fic-gta01.conf file.  To achieve this, I
created an overlay tree called 'o11s' and made it the highest priority
in the BBPATH as described here:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Application_Development_Crash_Course

Next I populated the conf directory of the overlay tree with a copy of
machine/fic-gta01.conf and changed the PREFERRED_PROVIDER to
linux-openmoko-o11s.  The file linux-openmoko-o11s_git.bb lives in the
pacages/linux/ directory of my overlay tree.

When I run "bitbake virtual/kernel -D", I get the following:

DEBUG: providers for virtual/kernel are: [<blah blah blah>,
'linux-openmoko-o11s', <blah blah blah>, 'linux-openmoko', <blah blah
blah>, 'linux-openmoko-devel', <blah blah blah>]
NOTE: Selecting already-staged linux-openmoko (0:2.6.24+svnr4102-r3)
to satisfy virtual/kernel
NOTE: selecting linux-openmoko-o11s to satisfy virtual/kernel due to
PREFERRED_PROVIDERS
DEBUG: sorted providers for virtual/kernel are:
['/path/to/o11s/packages/linux/linux-openmoko-o11s_git.bb',
'/path/to/openembedded/packages/linux/linux-openmoko_2.6.24.bb',
'/path/to/openembedded/packages/linux/poodle-kernel-2.4-embedix.bb',
<etc....>
]

As expected, my linux-openmoko-o11s kernel appears as a provider, and
AND appears at the top of the sorted providers AND appears to be
selected from the list due to my PREFERRED_PROVIDERS declaration.
Confusingly, bitbake also reports that it is selecting linux-openmoko.

The build does not create my preferred kernel and completes with:

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 513 tasks of which 513 didn't need to
be rerun and 0 failed.
NOTE: build 200803060906: completed

revealing that in the end, linux-openmoko was preferred over
linux-openmoko-o11s.  Why?  How can I override this?  I'm about to
dive into the bitbake source, but any help would be appreciated.

Ciao,
Brian