Qtopia/X11 Weekly Status (4)
zecke at openmoko.org
Thu Mar 20 00:06:15 CET 2008
I'm back in Berlin/Germany and I have mostly worked on the following items:
- Get Qtopia built in OpenEmbedded and create non segfaulting apps
- Fix font displaying (well, we compiled without fontconfig...)
- Get Qtopia to talk with the Modem, on cold and warm start
- Looked into the Alarm, atd, rtc, wakeup chain
- Cleaning up the patches and sent them upstream (once more)
bitbake openmoko-qtopia-x11-image should give you an image with timezone
data, enlightenment, illume, atd and qpe. qpe should get started by default.
You will need to add the illume module yourself and do the reconfiguration.
You can launch Qtopia apps from illume.
I had to rewrite the configuration part of the recipe and it looks much
better now, the monolithic recipe is still...
Yeah in modern age your XServer has no builtin fonts anymore and everyone is
using fontconfig, freetype, xft/or not to render the fonts. We can display
Get Qtopia talk to the Modem:
I updated the firmware to moko7. Fixed the path of Qtopia to power_on the
modem. Wrote a tool to forward the modem via tcp/ip, wrote another tool to
connect to the ip/port and provide a pts on the client (inspired by the short
chat with emdete at FOSDEM).
The modem has a tendency to skip the first commands, so Qtopia should send
some AT to wake the modem up and makre sure it is communicative. This is
working on warm start, I have a uncomitted change for warm start.
The state is: Qtopia can talk with the modem, it asks me to enter a SIM PIN
(don't ask how I actually enter it). It accepts it, registers with the
network, I can browse my SIM Contacts in the addressbook, play with the
phonesettings. I did sent a SMS and I have no idea if it arrived, I tried to
call something from my addressbook but didn't hear anything. I have no other
SIM so I couldn't try calling it, or sending a SMS to it. I will get anot
Qtopia is using atd to schedule alarms and to make sure the RTC gets
programmed. So I installed atd, added it as RDEPENDS, and the result was:
qpe hang in the open call of /var/spool/at/trigger. atd couldn't be launched
due an unimplemented ioctl of the RTC driver (I have sent a patch to
the kernel list). Once suspend/resume of Xglamo is working we can see if
Cleaning up patches:
Currently I have between 72 and 74 commits. I have rebased them against
a rsync version of Qtopia 4.3.1, grouped them and squashed them and we are
now at roughly 40 patches. I will continue feeding them upstream but they do
not have a sane process for that.
- Illume configuration in OpenEmbedded. We should have the default theme
and profile by default.
- Sound, Sound, Sound. I have no idea about these alsa state things and could
deserve a helping hand and some directions (I will try to claim more of
Graemes time). This includes phone handling, handset stuff but also alarm
- We need a E gadget to show the signal strength, network state, enter
airplane mode (how to verify that RF is really off?). A DBus interface
exists but it is not using mickeyl's interface.
- We need a onscreen keyboard, I have to extract the Qtopia prediction as
- Modem and testing, test that it works. Try suspend/resume, try wakeup by
- Enable Allan to start testing.
- Xglamo or E or whatever hang, misbehave. At some point I have three cursors
and can not move any of them. I would be happy to have one cursor and be
able to move it. But I'm not using Dodji's latest Xglamo, we might want to
update the 1.4.x version in OE or I should try the git one.....
(more on the QtopiaOnX11 wiki page)
Minimal Goal for next week:
- Have a ugly or hopefully proper way to use the illume profile by default
- Be able to make a voice call and receive it. Be able to actually hear and
talk the other person (and not only because you are in the same room).
- Provide the Qtopia prediction with a C interface.
comments, questions, feedback?
More information about the distro-devel