Please apply more care when doing NCC merges

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Sat Mar 29 15:59:06 CET 2008

Hi,

I see how monotone is forcing us to resolve non content conflicts by renaming
a directory and then doing a manual merge afterwards. But this is really bad
because:
	- We lose history on the directory and files
	- We don't even know where the merge happened, where the point is we lost
	  history. (this defeats the purpose of a SCM)

But most importantly:
	- One is introducing regressions. p:31024bd7a03a72ee2f8d8fcf92172e00365dd291
	had a openmoko-project and openmoko-projects.merge directory and then this
	was manually merged. On the way a working illume recipe got replaced by a non
	working one.

I recognize mtn is forcing us to do this and that we are all humans and make
mistakes. To make it more easy to track regressions better commit messages
would be appreciated. E.g. like with a normal merge commit message. Tell
which two revisions one has merged (to make up for the lost history), on a
merge tell which things you have discarded on purpose.

love
	z.