daily build feature wish list: vmlinux, old/new directory

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu May 8 01:21:19 CEST 2008

While using our daily builds in recent weeks, it occurred to me that
two small changes could make them even more useful:

- include also the vmlinux image with the uImage

  Reason: when reproducing a kernel problem in an image from the daily
  build, it's often useful to have access to the symbols and debugging
  information stored in the vmlinux image.

  This will be important when we have a kernel bug that occurs in the
  daily build but that we can't reproduce in local builds.

- the directory with the images is getting quite huge and difficult
  to navigate

  I'd suggest the following arrangement:

  1) put all files into a directory .../archive
  2) copy today's files (e.g., uImage-2.6.24+git20080507-r0-om-gta02.bin,
     uImage-om-gta02-latest.bin, etc.) into a directory .../latest
  3) the next day, replace .../latest with a directory containing only
     the files of that day

  This way,

  - all the latest files (which is what most people want) can be found
    quickly in .../latest

  - for each type of file, there is a fully static path, e.g.,
    ../latest/uImage-om-gta02-latest.bin

  - there's also an easy to find timestamped version for each type of
    file, e.g., uImage-2.6.24+git20080507-r0-om-gta02.bin

  - each file has a permanent location from the beginning, e.g.,
    .../archive/uImage-2.6.24+git20080507-r0-om-gta02.bin

I think it would help if something along these lines could be implemented.

Thanks,
- Werner