[RFC] When to switch to git

Graeme Gregory graeme at openmoko.org
Mon May 12 10:20:30 CEST 2008

Ok, this has been talked about internally for a while and the decision
has been made by majority that OM repo should change to GIT.

The only thing left to organise is the timetable of this event. We need
to make sure that we can do it and iron out the wrinkles without
delaying any vital software releases.

One thing I would like to say is I think this is seperate issue from any
SCM switch that is currently discussed on OE lists. We would not be
the first vendor to keep our local OE tree in a different SCM than
upstream as Poky Linux already does this.

I also think that compared to OE OMs usecase is a lot more limited. We
currently only have 4-5 keys enabled for write to our repo. And all keys
are employees. So we dont have the problems OE has with traceability.

Anyway guys please comment, I would like to get this timetabled ASAP.

Graeme