SRCREV and git packages

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon May 12 12:55:44 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 15:19 +0930, Rod Whitby wrote:
> In what timezone is SRCDATE defined, and what happens when a build crossed midnight in that timezone?
> I thought SRCDATE was deprecated compared to SRCREV for these reasons?

The main reason its out of favour in OE is that is doesn't give unique
reproducible results or autoincrement properly when the SCM changes.

For something like svn, SRCREV works really well. For something like git
it only partially works due to the nature of revision naming. For
something like cvs it doesn't work at all and SRCDATE is the only
option.

So it all depends on the SCM in question and the usecase. Its 100%
deprecated for svn in OE, the other scms are a different question.

Cheers,

Richard