exquisite pkg mods so it can be a bootsplash replacement

Graeme Gregory graeme at openmoko.org
Mon May 12 16:47:11 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:50:03PM +1000, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> attached:
>
> 1 tarball with new exquisite .bb file and extra data files for installation so
> it can be a splashscreen
> 2. a new rc file to replace sysvinit/sysvinit/angstrom/rc to use it (sysvinit
> package). note i have some FIXME's as the system is wedded to psplash and needs
> to be virtualised (i did this in-place i guess as its simpler and there is
> discussion to be had as to how to virtualise it off so any splash manager can
> plug in)
>
> as such these should allow exquisite to also be a bootsplash engine.
>
> as such it provides some advantages and disadvantages over psplash:

Agreed on the virtualisation.

But I cannot get this to do anything apart from a black screen.

The init script as written doesnt work as there is a race condition
between forking and the first exquisite-write being performed. You
really should provide a daemon mode for exquisite that performs all
setup then forks and exits.

Im not sure about the mounting/unmounting of the tmpfs.

Also need to inherit update-rc.d in .bb file otherwise it never gets
started.

I can handle all the .bb problems, but fundamentally I cant get this
working so Im stuck.

Graeme