SRCREV and git packages

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Tue May 13 01:37:47 CEST 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 06:24:15 John Lee wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 08:20:56PM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > we, as in Openmoko, have preferred SRCDATE for git based recipes over
> > SRCREV for one simple reason. We need an increasing number for the
> > package version and for git we made a number up and stored it within the
> > tmp directory. Removing the tmp directory removed that numbers and we had
> > new packages going back.
> >
> > To partially avoid this issue. Get the latest Bitbake from the
> > bitbake-1.8 branch and put something like this [1] into your local.conf.
> > This will put the persistent data into your home directory and you can
> > wipe the tmp dir without losing this. Another approach is coming soon as
> > well.
>
> Actually I use SRCDATE in openmoko-linux because I want a increasing
> number even across different repositories.  The persistent data is
> specific to the build machine so I decided not to use that.

Okay, I came up with the below patch and would like to put it into the Bitbake
repository. Let me give a small explanation:

John is right about SRCREV for git packages. Back in the more early days Henry
came up with the idea of using git-rev-list | wc -l to get a increasing
revision number. With git you need a local repository to execute
git-rev-list, I had a brief look at the source and it might be tricky to add
that for all supported fetching methods. So this is bringing us to this
point.

You will need a local repository. This means the current fetcher code may not
download tarballs of checkouts.

You will need a local repository for every piece of git software we use, even
if you don't use it at all. E.g. three disjunct kernel trees wasting some
harddisk space.

This assumes that only fast-forwards are applied on the branch you track. If
that is not the case you will have to play with PE when this happens (e.g.
you forced it with using a local git repository and added changed and
upstream then only got one patch... but your package is in the wild..)

So my patch is doing the following:
	- Add an option to enable the git-rev-list | wc -l behaviour
	- Disable downloading of checkouts as a repository is needed.. This isn't too
bady because the repo is not much bigger than a checkout and we can mirror
the repos as well.

comments
	z.