exquisite pkg mods so it can be a bootsplash replacement

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue May 13 02:48:18 CEST 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008 15:47:11 +0100 Graeme Gregory <graeme at openmoko.org> babbled:

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:50:03PM +1000, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > attached:
> >
> > 1 tarball with new exquisite .bb file and extra data files for installation
> > so it can be a splashscreen
> > 2. a new rc file to replace sysvinit/sysvinit/angstrom/rc to use it
> > (sysvinit package). note i have some FIXME's as the system is wedded to
> > psplash and needs to be virtualised (i did this in-place i guess as its
> > simpler and there is discussion to be had as to how to virtualise it off so
> > any splash manager can plug in)
> >
> > as such these should allow exquisite to also be a bootsplash engine.
> >
> > as such it provides some advantages and disadvantages over psplash:
> >
> Agreed on the virtualisation.
>
> But I cannot get this to do anything apart from a black screen.
>
> The init script as written doesnt work as there is a race condition
> between forking and the first exquisite-write being performed. You
> really should provide a daemon mode for exquisite that performs all
> setup then forks and exits.
>
> Im not sure about the mounting/unmounting of the tmpfs.
>
> Also need to inherit update-rc.d in .bb file otherwise it never gets
> started.
>
> I can handle all the .bb problems, but fundamentally I cant get this
> working so Im stuck.

ok. just tested.

1. i replaced my /etc/init.drc with the rc i attached in the previous mail
2. removed the psplash package
3. installed exquisite.

nb - you may need to install other evas modules like the fb engine, the eet
loader module. technically this is optional as exquisite simply will display
nothing (and just error with cannot create canvas) if the engine is missing. as
you could only have it work in fb or only in x11 if u wanted... :)

try installing libevas-engine-fb and libevas-loader-eet if they are not
installed.

nb - yes. a daemon mode might be nice for exquisite, though maybe i'll do it
differently and add a "wait for it to come up" mode for exquisite-write that
can block up to a timeout waiting on exquisite's socket to come alive.