more craziness - pre-cache in init scripts.

Alessandro Iurlano alessandro.iurlano at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:18:08 CEST 2008

This just loads the files from the flash memory into Neo's RAM.
I had a look at GTA01 boot phase performance some time ago. I could
not get I/O statistics from the flash memory because I used bootchart
and /proc/partitions (IIRC) was not populated because the driver
lacked this feature.
But I had the impression that the bottleneck was the cpu and not the
access to the flash memory.
This could however be wrong for GTA02 as cpu is 400MHZ instead of 266MHZ.
Anyone knows the speed of the internal flash memory? Just to have an idea.

Those files are shared libraries. Linux loads a shared library from
the disk only the first time it is used. The next times it is mapped
directly in the memory space of the process. So maybe running a
program that links all those shared libraries and uses at least a
function from each of them could be more useful than a simple cat.
Also the prelink program could be useful here.

Just my 2c.
Alessandro