get rid of console messages!

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Fri May 16 04:44:08 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> | So clearly this will not work for the GTA01.  Someone needs to verify
> | that on the GTA02, this output will be directed to the tty associated
> | with ttySAC2 (which is harmless on the GTA02), and not ttySAC0 (where it
> | will be sent to the GSM just like the GTA01).
>
> Its probably OK to set loglevel to something low (from
> Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt)

That will fix the kernel messages... but that's not the issue I'm seeing.

Here's the funny stuff I'm seeing; I don't know why it does this.  Note the
command line - there's only the ttSAC0 specified as the console, just as raster
suggests:

root at om-gta01:~# cat /proc/cmdline
rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock4 console=ttySAC0,115200 loglevel=8
psplash=false mtdparts=neo1973-nand:0x00040000(u-boot),0x00004000(u-boot_env),
0x00200000(kernel),0x000a0000(splash),0x03d1c000(rootfs)

Now here's a dump of the chatter on serial port 0.  Note the output being sent
to the port -- that's *NOT* from the kernel; rather it's gsmd's comms
intermingled with stdout from the init process -- why did init decide that it
could commandeer /dev/ttySAC0 for that purpose?  So basically the absence of
console=ttyS0 on the command line means that both gsmd and init seem to have
/dev/ttySAC0 open, and are actively using it.  Ouch.

My point in bringing this up is that we need to verify on the GTA02 if it is the
case that init will use the first tty device available (which would be bad, that
would be ttySAC0 which is the GSM, and the GTA02 would have this same funky
trash on the port that you see below!).  Or, if it merely takes over the other
console device on the command line, which in the case of the GTA02 would be
ttySAC2, and would be harmless.

(The GTA01 will just not be able to use the new boot splash, unless we come up
with some other solution.)

root at om-gta01:~# ./dump_serial_log
5007.065: -> Starting GSM daemon: gsmd - (C) 2006-2007 by OpenMoko, Inc.
5007.145: -> and contributors..This pro
5007.150: S  M
5007.150: <- AT-Comma
5007.150: -> gram is FREE SOF
5007.150: <- nd Interpreter r
5007.150: -> TWARE under the
5007.150: <- eady..ating GSM
5007.155: -> terms of GNU GPL
5007.155: <- daemon: gsmd - (
5007.155: -> ....AT-Command I
5007.155: <- C) 2006-2007 by
5007.155: -> nterpreter ready
5007.155: <- OpenMoko, Inc. a
5007.155: -> ....ating GSM da
5007.155: <- nd contribut
5007.160: -> emon: gsmd - (C)
5007.160: <- ors.
5007.160: ->  2006-2007 by OpenMoko, Inc. and contributors..
5007.165: <- ..ERROR..
5007.170: -> ....ERROR....
5007.170: <- er the terms of
5007.170: -> .