official clarification: flashing from NAND/NOR uboot.

Cesar Eduardo Barros cesarb at cesarb.net
Sat Aug 2 23:12:59 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Can we have someone from OpenMoko confirm some of the facts we are
> documenting? Should we post those here with a special subject prefix? We
> may also need clarifying some information we find unsure. We cannot test
> all cases. Or should we post those on community? (I am not subscribed.)
>
> First one from me:
>
> Flashing Kernel and RootFs can be done in the NOR uboot mode, but not in
> the NAND uboot mode.
>
> Correct / Incorrect?

You can flash from NAND u-boot. The NOR u-boot is only for recovery
(when you flashed over the NAND u-boot and it didn't work, or in case
the NAND u-boot environment has incorrect settings).

The GTA01 didn't have the NOR; the mistakes which need the NOR u-boot on
the FR required a debug board to be fixed in the GTA01 (or, if you still
could boot, some heavy trickery).

(note: this isn't an official clarification, since I don't work for
OpenMoko)

--
Cesar Eduardo Barros
cesarb at cesarb.net