Correct naming of 2008.8

Brian C brianwc at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Aug 7 16:45:35 CEST 2008

Marko Knöbl wrote:
> Can you tell me what the correct name for the 2007.2 software is?
> Is "Om" the only correct name for the software? This would mean that
> many pages are incorrect at the moment as they use "Openmoko" as a
> name for the software. For example "Openmoko under QEMU", "Why
> Openmoko", or "Openmoko". Do we have to change them?

It is a little confusing to new users that the company and the software
have the same name, so if Openmoko Inc. were to adopt the idea that the
software is always called Om ####.# then I think that could be helpful.

However, this identity of naming is not without precedent.  We speak of
Debian the organization as well as Debian the software distribution and
people usually are able to work out the difference once they are
familiar with that convention.  So, whatever Openmoko Inc. wants to do,
just so long as we all know what the adopted convention is.

Brian