More verbose listing of Software stack files?

Ferenc Veres lion at
Tue Aug 19 23:12:01 CEST 2008

Flinx írta, 2008-08-18 23:01 keltezéssel:
> Therefore I would propose a listing somewhere that would explain to new
> users (like myself) which files do what, because the file names aren't
> exactly clear.
> Obviously something like this would take a bit of effort to maintain, but
> would really benefit people who are just getting started.

Hi, and pages should answer all these
questions. They are long, and there are many options to choose (like 4-5
completely different distributions). So it may take some effort to get
an overview, what do you advice to make this cleaner?

I think nobody dares to clearly say, one is more important than another,
and elevate e.g. 2008.8 as "THE DOWNLOAD", and push all the rest in the
background as "alternate downloads". They are all important. This makes
it more difficult for new users.

Both those pages link to which explains
(and I think "Downloads" explains too!) that you need a kernel and a
root filesystem, and "Distributions" clearly state where to download a
kernel and a root fs.

Any comments are welcome from you on how to make these pages easier to