Langages in categories

Minh Ha Duong haduong at
Mon Aug 25 13:23:38 CEST 2008

  First, sorry I moved before discussion and you had to revert my changes.
I have read the related threads:

and wish to try to summarize the debate. First I agree that "Category:XXX"
pages should not display multiple versions of a page that differ only by the
langage. There are three obvious ways:

1/ Fix the code displaying Category: pages as suggested by Ferenc:

2/ Make separate categories for each langage, as suggested by Marko and done
by Alasal

3/ Separate languages at the top level, as in Wikipedia.

I understand that 1/ is technically better, but out of question since we
editors don't have any mean to hack the wiki code. So it's 2/. In means that
instead of cluttering the list of pages in a category we are cluttering the
list of categories itself.

Question: would it solve both issues to systematically have XXX/fr as a
subcategory of XXX ?

Minh HA-DUONG                                    Chargé de recherche CNRS
haduong at                  CIRED, Campus du Jardin Tropical
tel: +33 1 43 94 73 81                   45bis ave. de la Belle Gabrielle
fax: +33 1 43 94 73 70                    F94736 Nogent-sur-Marne, France
Jabber: minh.haduong at (work), (personal)