List of technical documentation: is it a useful page? What should be here? What should not?

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Thu Aug 28 00:28:16 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Michael Shiloh írta, 2008-08-25 23:36 keltezéssel:
>> While searching for the list of /sys files I stumbled onto
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/List_of_technical_documentations,
>
>> My big concern is this: If there are multiple sources of information,
>> there is an excellent chance that they will be out of sync, leading to
>> confusion.
>>
>> Furthermore, this page requires that an author manually insert their
>> document into this page, increasing the chance that an excellent
>> technical document will in fact not be listed here. (Case in point: The
>> list of /sys files that I was seeking is in fact not here!)
>>
>> So I propose we get rid of this page. Perhaps a more useful way to
>

> I proposed the same thing earlier on Wiki issues (4 other "list pages")
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wiki_Issues#Lists_now_implemented_as_categories

I agree with your proposal and would support implementing it

> I also tried to solve this issue by adding a list of most important
> articles of the category on top of the category page. This method is not
> 100% successful yet.
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Category:Hardware&oldid=47443

Could this be automated to automatically list the most-clicked articles
within a category?

> (This table does not give a good overview, and does not really help
> navigation in the whole site. But that may also be caused by having the
> too many "subcategory" assignments. Anyway, now it looks better than I
> remembered..)
>
> In brief: I agree with removing manually maintained out-of-sync article
> list pages, but we should try harder with category intros then. :-)

Agreed. I would commit to sweeping through articles and correcting
categories. But only after we minimize the number of pages and
rationalize the categories.