Navigation bar on the left

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Thu Aug 28 23:08:06 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Minh Ha Duong írta, 2008-08-27 23:50 keltezéssel:
>   The secondary (third, fourth whatever!) navigational boxes, like
> the black box on the right side of:  http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Phones are
> called navigation templates.

Based on your links I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Solar_System

Which is used like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

I have seen these "navigation templates" earlier on Wikipedia, but I was
never confused by them the two ways our ones do:

1. Trying to use it as TOC.
2. Clicking on it leads to a page which does not provide the same way to
come back. (Menu metamorphoses into another, Wikipedia.org does not do
that.)

> Distributions {2007.1, 2007.2, 2008.8 ASU, 2008.9, FSO, SHR, Qtopia, Debian}

Yes, the idea itself is very good now. I didn't even get the idea before
you explained what this aimed to be.

Earlier I suggested using a "See also" section instead, and as you can
see, Wikipedia always has these at the bottom, basically as a "cool
designed See Also section" (Where cool = easy navigation, because
similar Planets (whatever) are linked together, they are ordered in
certain order,etc, regardless this is still just a See Also section).

> I support Ferenc opinion that most other navigation templates are confusing,
> but I have to say that I do find the one for Om 2008.8 actually usefull.

Yes, should not force them where they cannot create a CONSISTENT
forth-and-back navigation between a GROUP OF PAGES. I would have not
even mentioned (or just sent congratulations) if they were implemented
that way originally.

> So let's try to improve the design of these boxes to see how useful they can
> be.

Looks much better! No indent -> no TOC look, good point. (Will be even
better I think, but the one you linked is already better. and it stays
the same on all pages of the group. Where it does not, the link looks
different! "(Other distributions)". Very good, thank you!

Referring to these versions:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Om_2008.8&oldid=50337
http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Template:Om_2008.8&oldid=50323

Ferenc