Wiki focus - user versus developer documentation
Minh Ha Duong
haduong at centre-cired.fr
Fri Aug 29 09:49:30 CEST 2008
I very much agree with Michael: Ben's idea has legs, it's going to go far.
What do you know about the namespaces in wikimedia ?
I just read
and wonder if it would be a good idea to use them to
separate User-oriented from Devs-oriented pages.
In summary, namespaces:
- allows separation of different kinds of unrelated content; several
namespaces have special features related to their intended purpose
- allows unrelated content to be stored in one wiki, but requires lots of
- provides facilities to limit searches to a particular area
- in principle allows easy exporting (but not with the Export feature, which
is for selected individual pages) of a selection of work (categories could
also be used for this more cleanly)
- allows for feature separation
* They can be detected by the CSS and so we can have subtle visual
differences (on Blender's site they are perhaps too subtle).
* Implementing namespaces requires administrator intervention. The
Blender-style "prefix/" solution is probably fully userland.
Any comments ?
Two direct questions to Openmoko:
* There is a custom namespace already, Openmoko: Which kind of pages are
supposed go in it ?
* Same question with the Help: namespace ?
More information about the documentation