categories

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Sat Aug 30 17:57:52 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I made several category changes. I want to make a plan and propose
solution, but it was so confusing, that I was unable (tried several
times) to map the current structure. :-/

I am continuously reading Minh's notes on

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wiki_Issues#General_issues_with_categories

too. So far resist creating another taxonomy. Maybe a bit later! I wanna
move Information, Openmoko and similar category's content to better
names. I've just killed "Help" category and created "Wiki Editing"
instead because 90% of Help was Wiki Editing help, but some OTHER help
too (e.g. FAQ). Help is another too general name what editors would keep
on picking.

My big question:

Is there any way to replace

"Category" link in the category box?

Instead this - now useless - language flooded - unorganized - list:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Special:Categories

I would really love to point it to:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:Categories

This was existing, it had almost the same "top level categories", I am
just adjusting it a bit, and I feel it really EASY to navigate based on
this. (Unless you click the huge list sometime. :-) )

Also easy to peek into other language's category or peek back to English
category to see if there are more in that language in the current
category! That's a big thanks to Dolfje for the category languages. I
expanded it a bit more, because some "/xx" were still in English categories.

I hope I didn't change anything I should not! :-p

I also read parts of the Wikipedia categories guide, and I found that
"Linux Expo 2008" in Community and Community/Event should not be in
Community, just in the subcategory. So I moved a lot of events this way!