Towards The Manual

Minh Ha Duong haduong at centre-cired.fr
Sat Dec 20 16:29:26 CET 2008

> know where you are so let's get GPS going at the same time. A chapter
> describing and debating the distros would be a good start and then a
> chapter for each distro ending up with phones in the same sort of
> state would then be a good second.
> > The problem is, the distro's change so quickly that you wouldn't get
> anything printed before it was out of date...

Absolutely. Documenting fastchanging matters is better left to the wiki.
The Manual would rather focus on hardware (case and electronics), libraries
(EFL and framework), environment (Hosting, crosscompiling, OE). Then
description of subsystems with sample applications. I would also like it to
include some human/social aspects: OM's history, philosophy, politics,
community...

> As a result of my posting, I'm already building up the chapter on
> getting SHR running so I'll volunteer that if it would be wanted.

Cool. Every help is wanted.

> BTW. If you need to go from Wiki to a print quality PDF we have a tool
> that does just that via some simple CSS styles using the Prince XML to
> HTML converter (http://www.princexml.com). We haven't yet written a
> complete published book with it but have used it for fully illustrated
> manuals. Let me know if this is of interest. Sure saves messing with
> XSLT!

  I am certain that this is of interest. I suspect that if beyond the software
itself, you offer additional editorial services, like technical (re)writing
or workflow management, OM may be interested too.

Yours,
Minh
--
Minh HA DUONG, Chargé de Recherche, CNRS
CIRED, Centre International de Recherches sur l'Environnement et le