term: software stack

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Tue Jul 29 00:00:58 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I think some terms are confusing to new users and Wiki readers.
"Software stack", is one of those, at least for me. What's your opinion?

Could we call these as "Distributions"? There is a page for this already:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Distributions (needs some editing of course)

I never heard "software stacks" before. (Being programmer for 10+
years... I did not work with embedded software anyway.)

Of course we can keep this term on some places, and developers will keep
writing it into Wiki, but let's not face newbies with the need of
choosing a "software stack" to proceed. :-) Not even "The openmoko
stack". (quote from the main page!)