source code availability

Minh Ha Duong haduong at
Fri Oct 17 09:28:59 CEST 2008

> I  think it would be much better approach to just CHECK whether the release
> fulfils license requirements, and if not, notify the maintainer and remove
> from the openmoko Wiki if not fixed.

... within a reasonable delay. We should do more than kindly notify, but
actually help the maintainer. Let us have two templates.

The first says:
"I did not find the source code for this application, ~~~~." and is a yellow
post-it style.

The second is a "warning" style and says:
"We have been unable to find the source code of this application. Please meet
on the Talk page to discuss the issue further."

> Then we don't even need a "Source available: Yes" tag in the template,
> because where it is NO, we remove the program. (Well, ok, we need a system
> to keep track of what was checked. So a "Yes"/"-" tag could be useful, but
> really that's all we need.

As a matter of principle, I try to see the positive side on everything someone
contributes to the wiki. But in this case I don't have very much to add ...
Let us hear what  rms's  goals and values are before we undo anything.

Minh HA DUONG, Chargé de Recherche, CNRS
CIRED, Centre International de Recherches sur l'Environnement et le