RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

haduong at centre-cired.fr haduong at centre-cired.fr
Mon Sep 1 21:11:20 CEST 2008

> Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   Deleting a page is a harsh measure. May I suggest an gentler archiving
>> procedure along the following steps:
>>
>> 1. Create a template "ArchivedObsolete" along the following lines:
>>
>> "This page was deleted because its content was obsolete. You can always
>> use
>> the `history' tab to look at old content. "
>>
>> 2. Replace the whole content of the page with the template.
>>
>> 3. Eventually provide a few links to more up to date information. Or
>> not.
>>
>> 4. Lock the page.
>>

> Minh makes a good point. Will such a page show up in a search? Reason I
> ask is one of my guiding principles is to reduce the clutter when
> looking for information. I think the two main ways to look for
> information will be (1) search box (2) categories. Since you suggest we
> replace the entire contents with the template, we remove this pages
> membership from any category, but will the name of the page still be
> found by the search box? I think so.

3. If it's a redirect it will not show up in search results by default.

Else we may try to prefix the page name with "Zzapped/" so that they show
up last in alphabetical listings, and it's clear to the reader that they
are gone. But that break incoming URLs. I looked in the Mediawiki handbook
for a code to prevent pages to be searched but did not found any. Maybe
Cesar knows it ?

Minh