Wiki focus - user versus developer documentation

Marko Knöbl openmoko.marko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 19:38:14 CEST 2008

2008/9/4 Minh Ha Duong <haduong at centre-cired.fr>:
> Hi Marko,
>
>  When I floated around the idea to use namespaces to separate user-oriented
> from developper-oriented pages, I had no idea what namespaces were for. Now
> that I have RTFM, it appears that the idea is bad. The difference  between
> these two set of pages is fuzzy and a matter of degree. Namespaces are meant
> to separate logically different universes of discourses. For example, speech
> about the project goes in (main), speech about the wiki should go
> into 'Openmoko Wiki' and speech about the people go into 'User'... And each
> of these X namespace has a shadow "X talk" namespace, to maintain the
> separation between facts (X) and opinion (X talk).
>
> Minh

Hi!
I think that it is absolutely necessary to separate user's
documentation from developer's documentation; otherwise this wiki will
stay unnavigable for normal users. I also think that this is doable,
as there mostly is a clear difference between developing software and
using the software. I can't imagine in which areas it would be hard to
separate them. Can you tell me on which pages you think this could
cause problems?

As for the namespaces: I know that they are normally used differently
in many wikis, I just thought it would be a good idea to use them to
separate content. If we don't use them I think we must come up with a
different method of separating the content.