Wiki focus - user versus developer documentation

Minh Ha Duong haduong at centre-cired.fr
Thu Sep 4 20:08:11 CEST 2008

> Hi!
> I think that it is absolutely necessary to separate user's
> documentation from developer's documentation; otherwise this wiki will
> stay unnavigable for normal users. I also think that this is doable,
> as there mostly is a clear difference between developing software and
> using the software. I can't imagine in which areas it would be hard to
> separate them. Can you tell me on which pages you think this could
> cause problems?
>
> As for the namespaces: I know that they are normally used differently
> in many wikis, I just thought it would be a good idea to use them to
> separate content. If we don't use them I think we must come up with a
> different method of separating the content.

The last time we discussed this, the conclusion was that we focus now on
categorizing, then we will do a mass page rename if needed. What I think was
more or less implicit was that we would take a few dozens of pages, tag them
as "Handbook", set a navigation template that look like a book's table of
content, and prefix everything with "Handbook/". Then we could
1. Export them with tiddlywiki to be installed statically on every device.
2. Export them statically every day/week/release to a different url,
maybe "Handbook.openmoko.org", with a noob-friendly CSS. With a searchbox and
a button that sends back to the wiki for editing of course.
3. Use some Wiki-to-pdf tool to sell a nice handbook for Normal Users.

Come to think of it, the handbook domain do not have to be managed by Openmoko
inc...
What do you guys say ?

Minh