Wiki focus - user versus developer documentation

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 5 17:44:31 CEST 2008

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:08 AM, Minh Ha Duong <haduong at centre-cired.fr> wrote:
>> The last time we discussed this, the conclusion was that we focus now on
>> categorizing, then we will do a mass page rename if needed. What I think was
>> more or less implicit was that we would take a few dozens of pages, tag them
>> as "Handbook", set a navigation template that look like a book's table of
>> content, and prefix everything with "Handbook/". Then we could
>> 1. Export them with tiddlywiki to be installed statically on every device.
>> 2. Export them statically every day/week/release to a different url,
>> maybe "Handbook.openmoko.org", with a noob-friendly CSS. With a searchbox and
>> a button that sends back to the wiki for editing of course.
>> 3. Use some Wiki-to-pdf tool to sell a nice handbook for Normal Users.
>>
>> Come to think of it, the handbook domain do not have to be managed by Openmoko
>> inc...
>> What do you guys say ?
>
> This sounds really good to me. I would suggest "Manual" instead of
> "Handbook", as it seems clearer, but maybe that's just me. I'm not
> sure I see a need for point 2, however - I think with good wiki layout
> and configuration this would probably be unnecessary, and it would be
> good to avoid things getting out of sync.

Perhaps "quickstart.openmoko.org" would be a good place for this? There
are already plenty of links pointing there, and the domain already exists.

Right now that domain contains the web page I created a long time ago
which was the basis for the quickstart page in the wiki. The web page is
out of date anyway.

Thoughts?