RFC: Where to put rapidly changing problems and solutions

Frank W. Kooistra frank at ocelot.nl
Sat Sep 6 02:32:17 CEST 2008

Hi Michael

thanks for the response ! see my comments in between

On Thursday 04 September 2008 21:30:55 Michael Shiloh wrote:
> Frank W. Kooistra wrote:
> > We could also make a rule that when a new version is rolled out all
> > issues of the previous version are deleted
> >
> > e.g  when 2008.9 is due 2008.8 issues are deleted. Sounds crude, but the
> > new version has to be tested on them anyhow.

We have to keep in mind that the know issues part section is not the place
where we track bugs, but rather a place where we are people of help and give
some assurence : we are aware and we are working on it.

> Perhaps instead of deleting, move all issues to a "to be tested"
> category, and the 2008.9 category starts with a clean slate.

I like the clean slate approach .

> Here's a proposal: categorize all known issues per release i.e. move all
> current issues to a 2008.8 sub-category, then when 2008.9 is released
> intentionally start a new _empty_ sub-category. As users test 2008.9,
> issues that are still present (hopefully none :-) can simply be copied,
> and new issues (hopefully none :-) added.
>
> For comparison, we can keep known issues for both the present and the
> previous release, but delete those earlier.

I can live with that: it will motivate people also to move to the new release,

> This seems like a pretty easy solution for us to implement right away.
>
> An exception is 2007.2, which we have to keep around for as long as
> FreeRunner is shipped with it. Anyway, that's a different distro.

Agree

lest with this approach we avoid that people who are ignorant about software
development are confronted with loads of bugs and issues, and scared away.

distro release platform software stack
I get the feeling that Openmoko has a a whole new meaning for these words ...

--
Frank W. Kooistra

Neo FreeRunner  on the way

Nokia 770 / Nokia N800 / N810