Propositions on categories

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Thu Sep 11 21:34:21 CEST 2008

Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>> +1 on all ideas. Who controls the bot?
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:DolfjeBot1
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:Dolfje

Excellent.

>> I see you posted about 10 hours ago. I'd give it time for the other side
>> of the world to wake up, and if no votes against in the next 12 hours or
>> so, go ahead and make the change.
>
> Done (and more)

Yay!!

>> We still have way too many categories. I'd like to see at least half of
>> them removed.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is an automatic way to get a count of how many
>> categories we have?
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Special:Categories&limit=500
> then paste into a text file, then wc -> 318 categories.

Pretty automatic. I was interested in comparing to (say) Ubuntu or others.

318! I think we should aim for less than 100 categories. What do you think?

> But there are many languages.

Yes. As discussed, we were going to remove these somehow so they
wouldn't clutter up the category space. Is this done? Can it be done? Is
someone doing this?

>> Have we agreed on what to do with historical pages, namely 1973 and
>> 2007.2? I agree it would be nice to keep them, but not if they clutter
>> up the category index. For example, I'd accept a "historical" category
>> for 1973, but I would not want to see a 1973 USB page categorized under
>> "USB".
>
> Good idea. It can go under "Maturity level"

Can you give me examples of what you see as the sub-categories
immediately under "maturity level"? I'm a little unclear on this.