Propositions on categories

Minh Ha Duong haduong at centre-cired.fr
Thu Sep 11 21:57:12 CEST 2008

> 318! I think we should aim for less than 100 categories. What do you think?

Well, there are about 1,266 content pages in the wiki, and categories with
less than 5 pages are hardly justified. But we can't really say with all the
translations.

> Yes. As discussed, we were going to remove these somehow so they
> wouldn't clutter up the category space. Is this done? Can it be done? Is
> someone doing this?

Can be done, Sean asked your engineers on this mailing list to look at it a
week ago. I suspect they had their hands full with git and email issues, or
simply not on this list.

See issues and solutions for a multilingual mediawiki at:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki Also, the correspondence
between translation should be maintained with tags:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Interlanguage_links The request has been
heard but maybe not in the right places. What is the best operational
frequency to ping the hosting engineers for that ?

> >> Have we agreed on what to do with historical pages, namely 1973 and
> >> 2007.2? I agree it would be nice to keep them, but not if they clutter
> >> up the category index. For example, I'd accept a "historical" category
> >> for 1973, but I would not want to see a 1973 USB page categorized under
> >> "USB".
> >
> > Good idea. It can go under "Maturity level"
>
> Can you give me examples of what you see as the sub-categories
> immediately under "maturity level"? I'm a little unclear on this.

Normally it goes like:
Pre-alpha, Alpha, Beta, Production/Stable (i.e. Gold), Mature.
But in this wiki the words used are:
[+] Ideas
[+] Implemented
[+] In progress
[+] Progress unknown
[+] ToDo
[+] Unimplemented

Minh
--
Minh HA DUONG, Chargé de Recherche, CNRS
CIRED, Centre International de Recherches sur l'Environnement et le