Multilingual wiki (was Re: Deleting outdated/unused pages)

Joachim Steiger roh at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 12 09:16:46 CEST 2008

>> On 9/2/08 Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>>> Wikipedia has a separate wiki for each locale (including Volapük,
>>> Simple English ...

yep.. and they also have hundreds of people maintaining on each of these ;)

i think thats another scaling-factor than the om wiki.
we neither have db load problems nor traffic or apache load trouble.
we would need 25times as much resources to host that, means we would
have trouble when doing that without expanding our server capacities.

>>> 6. One wiki for each language [is] probably the sensible way to go, but
>>> involves big work for the  hosting company's engineers.

i think thats another scaling-factor than the om wiki.
we neither have db load problems nor traffic or apache load trouble.
it would require loads of initial manual work and also would make
updates much more complicated in detail.
in short 'too big hammer for this nail'

>>> See issues and solutions for multilingual mediawiki at:
>>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki

sorry for asking this, but on short glimpse, this looks like 'far from
stable enough to 'just use it'.
at least the content and the heading "These are development
specifications, not documentation. This feature does not exist yet."
makes me believe that.

>>> Also, the correspondence between translation should be maintained
>>> with tags:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Interlanguage_links
>
>> On Sep 3 2008, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote
>>
>> Roh or Gismo
>>
>> Could you comment on the technical feasibility ? I like that idea best
>> as it seems to keep a growing site clean.
please see above.
its not 'cleaner', 5 would imho do the same level of 'clean' to the
listings.

this is a excerpt which i found most promising:

Minh Ha Duong wrote:
> 5. Each langage gets its main namespace.

this should be quite easy to do.. i'd rather put 25 namespaces into the
config once, than maintain and update 25 mediawiki instances, their
respective databases, webservers, and config.

[...]
> 5 or 6 are probably the sensible way to go, but involve big work for the
> hosting company's engineers.

> For 5. the http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Namespace_manager
> feature is not included in the Mediawiki.
thats 'special branch of mediawiki stuff... not any stable release but
somewhere in development.

 There is an extension
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Simple_namespaces
> but it is not installed : http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Special:Version

sorry if i misunderstood you, but shouldnt 5 mean 'touch the config
once, have updates not more complicated as they are now'
if we really are sure we need to 'change the namespace config' more
often, we can install the Extension:Simple_namespaces to do that.

would that also be ok with you all?

Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>   Is anyone working on this yet ? Can someone confirm at least that Roh and
> Gismo are aware of this request ? It would be sweet if we could in extra have
> an expected time of arrival. Thanks in advance.

sorry for missing that mail, i hope i answered all your questions

time of arrival depends on if we need to upgrade our serverfarm first ;)

can tell you if we finally decided the way to go and i have found out
what i need to do in detail.

kind regards

--

Joachim Steiger