Category: Software (non-openmoko) Was: Re: Category:Technical gone

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Sun Sep 14 11:22:40 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres wrote:
> linked here but don't belong here
> not linked, but belong here (depending on how you interpret the terms)
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:Software_(non_openmoko)

Cleanup proposal:

I think these are Openmoko software (part of Openmoko official
distribution), despite their non-openmoko categorization:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Building_FSO
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/E17
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Opkg

(Ok, E17 is third party software, true, but then what on my Neo is NOT?
90% or more is general free software, Linux, Busybox, libxml....)

Other OSes related:

I think these articles should be split:

- Host OSes (software that you run on a desktop, laptop, PC, Mac, etc,
and you do something Openmoko related (connect to it, develop for it)
(Is "Host OS" a good name? or Host OSes? Or another?)

- Alternate distributions (software that you install on Neo)

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeBSD
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/NetBSD
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/No_Linux
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Other_OSes
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qtopia_on_Neo1973
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qtopia_on_X11
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manual_Debian

Qtopia/Debian already have their category. Another category could be
created under Distributions called "Other distributions" for the ones
which have no serious support yet, and only 1-2 articles. (FreeBSD,
NetBSD, I saw a Linux, maybe Gentoo too somewhere). (Of course only arm4
parts of these articles will be moved, I'll split if needed.)

Where would a new "Host OSes" category belong to?

Then we have only 4 articles remaining Software non-openmoko:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Bare_metal (cool, maybe system developers)
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Building_Gadget_USB_Module (debian for
now, and USB)
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Fuel_Log (applications, we have a lot of
third party applications already, which are not marked
"non-openmoko",e.g. TangoGPS)
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Sjf2410-linux (Flashing Openmoko)

Bye Bye "Software (non-openmoko)". Please comment, I don't change
anything yet.

Regards,
[[User:Kempelen]]