Category:Development_Board ?

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Tue Sep 16 20:25:45 CEST 2008

Hi,

haduong at centre-cired.fr írta, 2008-09-16 08:30 keltezéssel:
>> More about "Hardware" category.
>>
>> It's ok for me if we rename it to Function, but let's vote here and
>> let's ask around if there is a way to RENAME instead moving. (I added
>> Accelerometer back to Hardware next to your "Function" until we decide,
>> because I missed it. :-) )
>
> Functions: Minh, Michael
> Hardware: Ferenc

No no, as you've quoted me above: I agree to rename.

> The Wikimedia documentation is explicit that categories cannot be RENAMEd,
> we have to create new category and move stuff.

Ok, thanks. We will propose to DolfjeBot.

> I support the idea of having a top level "Phones" category to host the
> tags you say.

Good. (Reminder to readers: Neo FreeRunner Hardware, Neo 1973 Hardware,
GTA03 and GTA04 categories will go there. I'll do this change now, it's
so logical that I don't think we need more votes.)

> We have mostly only one-word names for top-level categories. May we
> reconsider this implicit constraint ? It's easier to be explicit with two
> words, and it would make it clearer that the top level categories are not
> tags.
> Applications -> Application category
> Function -> Functional subsystem
> Hardware -> Phone model

Sorry, I am confused.

Hardware -> Phone model? Isn't Hardware going to renamed to Function or
Functional subsystems??!

Functional subsystems (with *s I think) is ok, but I don't think
applications' container should be called "Application category", or that
anything should be called "Phone model". (That's not clarifying
anything, especially seeing the so many announcements about CAD files,
which are also models.)

The word "Phones" (but that's not the Hardware's new name, that's the
Hardware Support's new name, I think there are some bugs in your list
Minh)... so, the word "Phones" clearly identifies that the phones are in
that.  (may be my lacking English knowledge again, I am sorry if that's
  sometimes blocking very nice English word usage. :-) )

Maybe "Subsystems" could be used instead Functional Subsystem even.
Well, we could simply leave it Hardware for a few days more, I don't
care how we call this top level category currently, more important is
that the underlying structure is clear and that WHAT are the top level
categories and WHATS IN THEM is now clear.

Will we mix hardware and software subsystems in subsystems? Software
subsystems are currently in System Developers and/or Application Developers.

Thanks,