RFC: delete "hardware" and "Neo 1973" from "Navigation" box (also add FAQ and applications, and repurpose applications)

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 19 20:50:18 CEST 2008

Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>   The FAQ link is on the "New to Openmoko ?" box on the home page, I think it
> would be better in "For Users", under "Getting started". I can entertain the
> idea of having it on every page of the wiki too.
>
>   "Hardware", "Neo 1973" and even "Neo Freerunner": We need to make room for a
> link to Categories:Category, maybe called "Site map" . The "Neo Freerunner"
> page is visible enough in the paragraph.
>
> Minh

I'm bringing this up again because it might take awhile to sort out our
category mechanism. Meanwhile, "Neo 1973" and "hardware" are still in
the navigation box, and other, more pressing items, are not.

To improve usefulness off the home page immediately, I propose we make
the following changes to the "Navigation" box

1. Remove "Neo 1973" and "hardware"
2. Add a link to the FAQ
3. Add a link to "Applications"

IIRC we've discussed the "applications" page. What was the conclusion?

My opinions:

1) the current "applications" page is not really meaningful. Half of it
belongs on a developer page of some sort. The other half might serve as
an introduction to a real application page

2. The purpose of the page should be for finding applications for the
FreeRunner. Thus, the page "Openmoko_Community_Applications" should be
renamed "Applications", and each application can indicate whether it
comes from the community or from Openmoko. Then we (I volunteer) should
add all the applications we know about that are not yet listed.

3. If "applications" gets too big, we break it up into function (games,
PIM, system tools, etc.) and not by source. Reason: Users wanting an
application are first concerned with functionality, and only secondarily
with where it comes from.

Comments?