talk pages

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 19 22:28:01 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the policy for talk pages? Keep them as history for long time?
> Delete outdated stuff? Integrate useful stuff into the page?

Disclaimer: I'm biased. I really don't like communicating via web pages.

Perhaps a guiding principle should be this: "Choose the option that
makes it more likely that a visitor will find what they are looking for".

Visitors should include novice and expert users.

So, for example, fewer categories make it more likely that visitors will
find what they want.

A better search mechanism would do the same. Likewise fewer pages, and
removing wrong or outdated pages.

All of our work has been aimed at moving us closer to this goal.

So applying this principle I would say absolutely delete outdated stuff,
and, move useful stuff to the pages.

But, if not many people look at the talk pages, I would say do this with
very low priority.

Michael