wishlist vs. applications

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Mon Sep 22 20:19:31 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Minh, I don't think Wishlist items should be added to the Applications
> categories, like for example to Telephony. I see you added, for example:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wishlist/Synchronized_High_Quality_Recording
>
> But we have so many crazy ideas in Wishlists, that flooding the actual
> application categories with them, won't help users looking for software
> (and not ideas).

Agreed. Applications should only list working applications. I would
include also Alpha and even pre-alpha releases, if they demonstrate
basic functionality, because being visible might attract more people to
help move it forward.

> ps: I've merged Openmoko_Community_Applications into Applications, and
> moved basically all content of original
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Applications  page to
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Developer_guide (any ideas why this makes
> no TOC?) and to
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Application_UI_Design_Recommendations

Excellent. I'm working on getting the navigation box repaired to show
"Applications" rather than "Community Applications".

> (this whole page was in Applications page). Maybe we misunderstood the
> purpose of the Applications page ;-)

No, I think it was just unstructured evolution.

> ps2: Undo fast if you hate these changes... :-)
>
> ps3: We should maybe mark developer: Openmoko Inc. where we list an
> "official" application. But I don't know which are those (I am not sure
> users care.)

It was my intention to have an "Author" (or developer as you have)
field, so that the community developer can be identified and appreciated
by name, but the OM Inc. applications would have the company name
instead of the developer to identify OM apps. I think some people might
care whether it's a community app or an OM Inc. app, so let them have
the info, but (personally) more importantly I want to appreciate the
community developer the first time his/her application is mentioned,
right there on the "Applications" page.