size of the Applications page

Michael Shiloh michael at
Tue Sep 23 00:48:35 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres wrote:
> Hi,
> Earlier we had a discussion, that max 8 apps should be added to
> [[Applications]], then we agreed to exceed that.
> Well, I think we will have problems with size. It will be difficult to
> overview. I have no ideas yet, bringing up for discussion.
 > For example this one looks cool:

Yes, exactly, but i would break the larger groups into further sub-groups:

   role playing games
   board games
   shoot-em-up games
   card games
gps applications
   output parsing
     video playback
     voice recognition
     text to speech
     music players

(Can we add the nice little navigation menu, or do we need Brenda or Roh
to do that since it's outside of the wiki?)

Any category with less than 8 members can have the sub-categories on the
same page, like our original Developer Applications page did.

(Looking at your work, I think it might be nice to have a single word
stating the code maturity, perhaps only 3 simple options like prototype,
functional, mature.)

(Also, since some applications won't run on all distros, it might be
smart to have a line indicating which distros this app will work with.)

 > And this:

Argh! Another one of those manually created lists I so hate. Poorly
written description as well. Argh! I propose we get rid of this page as
soon as we've confirmed that all programs discussed here are mentioned
in the appropriate place: Applications on the applications page, all
other programs in the relevant sections.