application categories: graphics, office, system.

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Thu Sep 25 19:44:02 CEST 2008

Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>> Graphics Applications
>>
>> (probably better than e.g. "Graphics" (people would put wallpaper in
>> it!), or "System" (who knows what editors would put in that), since the
>> category "structure" is not a tree basically, we just make a tree of
>> them by assigning them together, but in the system they are flat.)
>
> Yes, we need to decide if we use "X" or "X Applications".
> My right brain (emotional) is for "X Applications", that speaks more clearly.
> But my left brain (rational) is for "X" because repetition is clumsy,
> especially when we list all the categories on the same line, and I think that
> tagging should be done only by a handful of editors who understand the whole
> system.
> So I balance... What do you other guys think ?

To expand upon what I said earlier (about the word "Applications").

We want to make it as easy as possible for the visitor to find the right
thing. If they visit "X" thinking they will find X libraries or X
configuration options they will waste time and become frustrated. If
they immediately see "X Applications" they will know to look elsewhere.

So in the name of a better user experience, I vote we allow the
repitition of the word "Applications"